Thursday, October 28, 2010

Toxumaq İstəyirsəəəəən?

I learned how to crochet and knit here in Azerbaijan. I would now consider it one of my hobbies. Back in PST, I saw my 11 year old host sister crocheting something for one of her dolls, and I asked her to teach me how to do what she was doing. For the rest of PST I was pretty much with my crochet needle and yarn 24/7. I even started crocheting during language classes. The first thing I ever crocheted was the beginning of a blanket, which came out exactly like one would expect your first ever project to look like: horrendous. My host sister didn't really teach me what to do at the end of a row, and so as I kept crocheting, my blanket began to look like a pyramid instead of a rectangle since I was losing a stitch after each row. Luckily a few of my fellow YD's are also crochet-ers, and they taught me a few different stitches as well as how to end a row. Its such a great feeling to finish a scarf or a hat and realize that you just made something. I will probably never buy another knit hat or scarf in my life. Why would I when I can just make one myself???

Here are a few of the things I've crocheted so far:


These are two scarves that I made for my host sisters. I tried to make them exactly the same, because if they were in any way different the girls would probably fight over whichever they liked the best.


This is the first hat I made. I know, I know, I should be designing for Dior or Gucci or some other rich ass brand.



I made this hat for another PCV here. I was going for a Storm Trooper/Gladiator look.

The other day I got some knitting items from an AZ6 PCV who was giving away some of the things she doesn't need anymore. After youtubing how to knit, I have now learned and am currently knitting my first scarf! So stay tuned for the final result in a few days.

1 comment:

  1. That Storm Trooper/Gladiator/Mongolian Warrior hat is my favorite piece of clothing. Can't wait for it to get cold enough to start wearing it again!

    ReplyDelete