Friday, October 15, 2010

Bluegrass in Azerbaijan

So last week Eli, one of my fellow AZ7 YD's, came up to Zaqatala with his mom and her husband, who are bluegrass musicians. They came with their instruments, and luckily they got to play in one of the villages here in Zaqatala.


First a disclaimer: I've never been a fan of bluegrass. Actually I didn't know what bluegrass really was until about two weeks ago. I always thought it was just another term for country music. A quick googling and wikipedia-ing told me that bluegrass is a "form of American roots music...typically played on a small set of acoustic stringed instruments."

After hearing it live, I must say I'm definitely more of a fan of bluegrass than I was two weeks ago. Eli's mom, Coney, and her husband Carrol are awesome musicians. And they're even nicer people! While staying at my house they played a little for my host family, who really enjoyed it too. I think bluegrass could definitely have a following here in Azerbaijan....

Below is a short video of Coney and Carrol playing at the Cultural House in the village of Danachi.

No comments:

Post a Comment