Friday, November 5, 2010

Mr. Bubbles

In the 7th grade, I did a science fair project with a classmate of mine entitled "Mr. Bubbles: What factors determine the strength of bubbles." We wanted to find out why some bubbles were more durable than others and if there was a way to make a recipe for a stronger bubble. Behold my 7th grade self:


SO anyway, for this week's science club we pretty much did the same experiment. The first time around I think we measured out just salt and sugar and added these to soapy water and compared the bubble-making ability of each substance. This time, we tried salt, sugar, baking soda and potato starch. Eleven years after the original experiment, the result was the same: sugar makes better bubbles. I'm still not sure why, (don't look at me I'm not a chemist!) but it might have something to do with glycerin being a chemical that fortifies the bonds in bubble structures. Or whatever.
Peep this:

(btdubs in Azerbaijani the word for bubble is köpük.) The kids really liked making the bubbles, and who wouldn't, they're BUBBLES! I think the best part of having this science club is that we get to have fun with everyday objects while at the same time looking at them from a different perspective. Sure bubbles are awesome, but do you know why they're awesome, and how to make them more awesome? Add sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment