Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Tims

It's winter here and that means a few things: 1) its really cold all the time (especially indoors); 2) precipitation falls in the form of snow or (more commonly now because The End Is Near... 2012) sleet and freezing rain; and 3) slippery/muddy streets.

Being from NYC and having spent eight years in New England, I'm clearly familiar with the latter two of these. Even though I didn't know much about Azerbaijan before coming, I assumed winters here would be similar to those in the Northeast, and so I brought my most indispensable article of winter attire: Tims (check out their Urban Dictionary definition!). I got the pair I brought to Azerbaijan back when I was still in high school, and they still look exactly the same. But why the H am I posting about this anyway? A few things:

1) Apparently Tims are a sign of my New York-ness, since they're only popular amongst inner-city peoples of color... (none of whom are in the Peace Corps in Azerbaijan.) It's so weird to me to meet people who have no idea what the F I'm talking about when I mention Tims.

2) I've actually received compliments from Azerbaijani's on my boots. I thought that since they're huge and yellow and don't have a heel that people wouldn't really like them on a female. I mean, they do make me look like a construction worker. (Well, an American construction worker... Most of the workers I've seen here wear slippers.)

3) One of the local Zaqatala rappers (who was actually familiar with Tims...probably because rappers have mentioned the boots in songs) asked if he could have my Tims when I left Azerbaijan in December. It was an odd request, especially since he had to ask my friend how to say "Can I have your boots?" in English.

If explaining/describing my boots to people also means I'm talking about urban culture - does that count as cultural exchange (and herego Peace Corps' Goal 2)?

3 comments:

  1. yo! although i never had a pair of tims in azerbaijan i did rock a pair when i was doing demolition one summer, which is not particularly "urban" although i was pulling minimum wage doing physical labor with some mexicans. Anyway, you know i would have been holding down some knowledge bout the tims if i were still in country. im from jersey after all, black tims and long white T's anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you you you. I know them Tims - work boots (originally), which is the bread and butter of where I hail from..so...I guess you and your fashion comes second to Josh's and I's workiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. jneeseT- your departure has meant that my only corroboration for all the random NYC-related things I mention are assumed to be lies by people. Basically your knowledge is much needed in Azerbaijan. How else am I supposed to convince people that 'assed out' is an actual phrase?

    lökinator- fashion always comes ahead of workiness! haha, i mean just look at the completely practical footwear around here!

    ReplyDelete